Sunday, March 8, 2009

Life's Lessons

This is just another email that is a keeper!
I've learned....

That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
That when you're in love, it shows.
That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day.
That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
That being kind is more important than being right.
That you should never say no to a gift from a child..

That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.
That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.
That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.
That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
That we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.

That money doesn't buy class.
That it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.
That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.
That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
That love, not time, heals all wounds.

That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.
That life is tough, but I'm tougher.
That opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.
That when you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

That I should have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.
That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.
That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.
That when your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.
That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
That the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.


7 comments:

Laurie said...

I love this, meb. All of those are so true. Now you have made my day!

My favorite one is about having a child fall asleep in your arms. It's such a wonderful feeling.

अविनाश said...

that was very nice one

Anonymous said...

Very true meb, thanks for posting them. I don't know which is most important...I would find one and then read the next one and pick it instead.

Sydney said...

Well said Sizzie, that was my experience completely.

I like the idea of practicing being kind more than needing to be right because it's important. My husband believes this and practices "people first" more than anyone I have ever met. As a result he is loved and respected by pretty much everyone. He doesn't say much but what he does say (and thinks, it seems) assumes the best in everyone. I both admire and aspire to that.

Sydney said...

going to print this one!

meb said...

Laurie... I loved the child falling asleep in your arms too, but I, like Sydney, prefer the being kind rather than being right best. And I try to aspire to that, although it's tough sometimes. My kids always give me T-shirts or plaques.. whatever.. that say something like: "I may not be right, but I'm never wrong". Guess I'll have to work harder on being kind rather than being right all the time... which I really am. LOL

Sizzie... it is difficult to pick just one... they are all worthy of the choice.

Sydney...would love to meet your hubby... he sounds like he's a keeper.

bindu said...

They are all so true! I'd add have a child/animal fall asleep in your arms ... for I've had a few different kinds of animals fall asleep in mine and am filled with a sense of awe that they trust me so completely. This list is great!